You know that old cliché ‘New Year, new me’? Last year brought many and unprecedented changes for every single person on the planet. This year, you may wish to take control of the things you can, such as making health and well-being changes for 2021. If you plan to do this, make sure they are sustainable changes. If you try to tick off all the boxes at once, your pencil will end up blunt. We all want our results yesterday, but we didn’t get to where we are overnight. Tick one box at a time.
Setting Your Heath and Well-being Goals
Here is a list of things to remember when setting you health and well-being goals for 2021:
- If you are changing a long-standing habit, make small adjustments periodically. Don’t make radical changes – they’re harder to stick to. For example, don’t expect to go from smoking 20 cigarettes a day to zero. Cut it down gradually.
- Joining a gym doesn’t give you results – you actually have to go.
- Don’t try to run before you can walk. Gradually, you’ll get there.
- You cannot outrun a bad diet, but it can certainly help shift a few pounds.
- Diets only work when you’re on them. Education is key.
- Do not compare your achievements or results to those of someone else.
- Only make the changes if you want to see a difference. Doing it for the benefit of someone else isn’t good for your mental well-being.
- Set realistic goals for realistic time frames. Identify smaller milestones along the journey to your ultimate goal.
- Remember that the people you watch on exercise videos aren’t regular people – don’t aspire to be them (at least not yet).
- Gain advice from a professional, not an influencer from the internet.
- Make changes with someone else. It can help to have accountability.
- Don’t give up. If you have a bad day, don’t let it ruin your week. Keep going!
- Above all, do what makes you happy.
Don’t be shy to ask for help. People will want to support you. If you can find a way to see a professional for educated advice and guidance, do it. They will motivate and support you throughout your health and well-being journey.
Good luck, and Happy New Year.